Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My favorite song (that I never listen to): Part 1 of an ongoing series.

The Orb - "Toxygene"

I love the iTunes Genius playlist feature. I've pulled most of the music off of my main iPhone playlist and replaced it with about 30 different Genius lists, all of which end up being better mixes than anything I have time to put together. It's revolutionized my listening habits; not only does it scratch my ongoing nostalgia itch, but it also makes links between songs that would have been second-nature to me 10 years ago, before I started focusing more on work and marriage and all of those other alleged "grown-up" things we're supposed to invest in, all in handy chunks of 25 songs at a time
. It has also reminded me of songs that at one point ruled my world to the point of obsession, at least until the next shiny melody came along and grabbed my fancy.

Like most other people diving into British dance music circa 1990-1992, I knew about The Orb. I knew they were considered a major player in the world of electronic music. I knew that critics and consumers alike loved them and, given the limited avenues I had to get to raves what with having no cash, no car and limited access to like-minded friends, I heard "Little Fluffy Clouds" A LOT. And, you know what? It was... okay. I liked it but I wasn't crazy about it. I read rhapsodic article after rhapsodic article, in magazines, newspapers and online, hailing their genius. I just didn't get it. I mean, it was blatantly obvious they weren't bad. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I thought most, if not all, of the hype they received was warranted; it just didn't resonate with me. In the back of my mind, I thought I was missing out on something, but everything in the scene I encountered was so fresh, new and exciting to me that I didn't really care.

Fast-forward: It is now 1997 and I am in the peak time of my show-going days. I'm completely obsessed with Orbital at this point; In Sides is in such heavy rotation in my CD player that most of my friends think I've forgotten all about my mopey post-punk roots and have given up on my Cure fandom (I hadn't; I went to the Wild Mood Swings tour that year and was still busily convincing myself that "Strange Attraction" wasn't a steaming pile of a song). When I hear Orbital is touring, I can't wait to get my ticket; finding out that The Orb is also on the bill is just a neat bonus (or so I thought at the time).

I really did enjoy that show (IIRC, it was The Orb/Orbital/Chemical Brothers) but I was wholly unprepared for how much The Orb was going to blow me away, particularly with "Toxygene". The bouncy shuffle-step ragga-influence intertwined with traffic noises and various movie samples flipped a switch in my head. I no longer thought, "Oh, obviously they're good but I'm just not into them." That song was a perfect gateway; not only did it squarely hit the right place/right time bullseye, but its competing strands of simple dance floor joy and environmental pathos converged into a beautiful balance, something that made me rethink some of my stances on the environment while dancing until I collapsed. Furthermore, it shone a vastly different light on the rest of their catalogue; I went back to "Little Fluffy Clouds" and realized that I had been denying myself heaven for years by not surrendering to its charms. This one song, a song most would unanimously agree is not anywhere near The Orb at its peak, completely and utterly made me a strong fan of The Orb, and every time I hear it I receive the same revelatory rush I felt on the dance floor at Avalon over a decade ago.

http://www.theorb.com/ (RSS feedz for u)
http://www.loopz.co.uk/(WAIT, ORBITAL IS TOURING THE UK THIS SUMMER????)
http://www.astralwerks.com/chemical/ (srsly, We Are The Night is pretty great, stop hatin')
http://www.thecure.com/ (lol, Robert rants in caps)

3 comments:

  1. I would've liked to see/hear this live at the time. I think I heard a performance on the radio where they were dropping in samples of an American woman's voice saying "I love you" repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete