Search This Blog

Friday, July 17, 2009

Where my Hyrule thugs at?

One of my favorite things about 2000 was the mashup explosion; for a while it seemed that you couldn't venture out into the web's musicverse without stumbling over a laptop producer creating brilliance out of disparate sources. Soulwax and Richard X (aka Girls On Top) are among the biggest names to come out of this scene; personally, I have always been a big booster of Matt Tuozzo and Lance Lockarm.

I don't know if Team Teamwork was active during this time period and I don't really care. A link to their mashup album The Ocarina of Rhyme was posted on a gaming messageboard I like to read during my downtime and I haven't been able to stop streaming it since. A wide variety of hip-hop a capellas (Clipse, Common, Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, Aesop Rock and MF Doom to name a few) have been spliced with music from various levels of the game "Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time" and the result really couldn't be any better. I wish I hadn't given up my DJ dreams because practically every track here would get incorporated into my sets, PARTICULARLY the reworking of Busta's "Don't Touch Me". I never played this game, mostly due to not having access to a Nintendo when it came out; I'm thinking I should hit eBay and change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment