Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2009

My favorite song (that I never listen to): Part 2 of an ongoing series.

1. "I Against I" - Massive Attack and Mos Def
2. "And It Rained All Night" - Thom Yorke
3. "Baby's Got A Temper" - The Prodigy
4. "I Feel You" - Placebo
5. "Use You" - Dave Gahan
6. "Race - In" - Battles
7. "God Given" - Nine Inch Nails
8. "Walk Away" - Sisters of Mercy
9. "Loose Fit" (12" Version) - Happy Mondays
10. "This Is Love" - PJ Harvey
11. "The Weeping Song" - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
12. "Then" - Charlatans UK
13. "Konichiwa Bitches" - Robyn
14. "Satellite" - Depeche Mode
15. "Music Is My Radar" - Blur
16. "Red Tape" - Agent Provocateur
17. "Skip Divided" - Thom Yorke
18. "Neighbors" - Gnarls Barkley
19. "Deeper and Deeper" - Dave Gahan
20. "Leyendecker" - Battles
21. "When The Body Speaks" - Depeche Mode
22. "The Beginning of the End" - Nine Inch Nails
23. "Big Fun" (Original "Magic Juan" 12") - Inner City
24. "To Hell With Poverty!" - Gang of Four
25. "Out of Time" - Blur

This is what iTunes Genius gave me when I plugged Massive Attack/Mos Def's "I Against I" into it. Some of these are expected, either by virtue of being in a similar genre or groove (Charlatans, Thom Yorke, Gnarls Barkley) or by being performed by an artist with an oblique relationship to Massive Attack (Agent Provacateur... Thom Yorke). I wasn't really expecting the HEAVY Depeche Mode bias, though. Also, the Nine Inch Nails, Battles, PJ Harvey and Blur songs leave me scratching my head. Admittedly, it flows pretty nicely (except for the last four tracks, which are kind of the aural equivalent of shaking a baby, only you are the baby) but I never would have put all these songs together like this.

Oh yeah, the Robyn track sticks out like a SORE THUMB yet still manages to be the perfect thing to put into that spot. It's like the Genius algorithm knew what I wanted despite what I was thinking, and it was right and I was wrong. Creepy.

EDIT: Links to videos (a mix of official, bootleg and fan-created) are now up for all of these. Check them out if you don't know them; there's some good stuff here.

No comments:

Post a Comment